Leah’s Pantry is a California non-profit organization that promotes healthier lives among low-income and food insecure populations throughout California. We work with CalFresh-eligible individuals to support healthy, sustained behavior changes through interactive, effective, and culturally relevant programs, both in person and online. We also provide staff trainings to organizations that serve low-income individuals in order to build their capacity around nutrition education programming. Last, we ensure that the right tools exist to make these programs effective. Examples of tools developed and maintained by Leah’s Pantry include: Food Smarts curriculum, EatFresh.org, the EatFresh.org Mini Course, and cookbooks developed by community members.
Subscribe to the Leah's Pantry newsletter to stay in the loop!
Leah’s Pantry is hiring a Registered Dietitian. The work will involve approximately 20 hours per week in San Francisco. The schedule is somewhat flexible between the hours of 9am-5pm, Monday - Friday. Some work will be done from our San Francisco office and some will be done at partner sites throughout the city.
- $28/hour. This role is not eligible for vacation pay or health benefits.
- San Francisco sick leave does apply.
Position Role and Responsibilities
- Conduct nutrition education and cooking workshops in low-income communities using the Food Smarts Curriculum.
- Provide individualized nutritional counseling for seniors as required in person and on the phone, attempting to motivate positive changes in behavior which will affect their nutritional status and possibly prevent future medical problems.
- Obtain and evaluate client data from CaGetCare system; determine nutritional risks and deficiencies using the DETERMINE checklist.
- Provide information and referral regarding local emergency food programs, other senior programs, and appropriate community services.
- Chart pertinent patient information after assessment and counseling.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, climb stairs, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition/Dietetics or related field required. Must have R.D. registration.
- Experience in public health nutrition a plus.
- Chinese language skills preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of San Francisco agencies and resources a plus.
- Local travel required. Applicants must have access to a car with a clean driving record.
- Demonstrated competency in cooking.
- Demonstrated competency in oral presentation.
- Background check required.
- Food Safety Manager certification preferred (but not necessary).
- Loves working with older adults.
- Reliable, friendly and collaborative. Teamwork comes naturally to you.
- Ability to embrace the flexible mindset required to be successful in a small but busy organization. Sense of humor a must!
- Responsive to internal and external communication. Able to stay organized in an environment with multiple projects and shifting priorities.
- Life-long learner. Eager to learn new things, in new ways, from a wide variety of people.